Monday 6 April 2015

For Elizabeth, Shannon and Janine

Firstly, thank you everyone who commented on my last post.  I really appreciate the time you take to look at my blog and especially those who gave ideas/solutions to my handrail dilemma.

Elizabeth - the minute I read your comment I knew you were right!   So right, in fact, it made me laugh.   This has now been remedied.



The other comment made regarding this little set up was made by my sister who pointed out that there is no way on this earth that that bed would be so neat if there wasn't a Mrs Bennett living there.   Given the space - sadly not and as the bedding has been glued down to within an inch of it's life and therefore unable to be messed up in any way, I added - with masculine abandon - the little throw.
 
 
 
Shannon - thank you so much for your ideas regarding the handrail for the staircase.  It's something I hadn't thought of so I gave it a go.   Sadly, the pitch and sweep of the staircase didn't make it easy and while I had a couple of attempts at creating the thing from card, I was always just a tad out when it came to lining up the spindles.
 
Janine - I had looked at your handrail using the electric wire casing and thought this may be the way to go.   I cut it in half, stripped the wire from inside and attempted to fix it to the spindles but unfortunately no sooner had I got one bit fixed and was moving gradually down, the first bit popped up and the super glue I was using, turned out not to be that "super" after all.    It was at that stage I gave Shannon's idea a go but that didn't work either although I have to say, it's a brilliant idea and would have worked perfectly for me had the staircase been straight.   I've stored that little idea away for the future.
 
In the end, I DID go with the wire casing but I cut it in half again and bought better glue.   Success!
 
 
 
It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it solved my problem and I've taken a bit of artistic license given that this staircase has been around since the 17th Century.   I'm pleased with the fact that the glue worked and the casing stayed put on the spindles.   I can't ask for more!
 
It still needs a bit of work in that another step needs to be added and the handrail itself trimmed to line up and meet with the doorway I'll be adding but it's another step nearer the completion of this property.
 
Thank you Janine for taking the time to comment.   It's very much appreciated.

 

9 comments:

  1. Curved staircases are definitely not easy, but you're doing a great job here! Bravo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Irene, the stairs look really well. It's great we can all call on each other for help or inspiration! Your little throw adds a little something extra to the bed. The room really is marvellous!!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found a solution Irene, and I think it looks fantastic! I would also like to think that your cobbler is a certain kind of gentleman: he is a great artist and prides himself on producing a fine product, keeping his workshop neat and ship-shape and always tidying up after himself. Thus he also makes his bed each day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Irene, The staircase turned out very well & you have developed a new technique. I did not strip out the wire but used two wire insulated cord so that the spindles notched into the centre of the double.
    It was a bit tricky to handle as you have discovered but it has been in place for a couple of years now and has not sprung out of place.
    The throw is a great addition to the bed. I would have to lie the other way to use the candle to read!
    Re the throw. Many years ago I was reading an Interiors magazine when the decorator was quoted as stating "Simply throw your throw over the arm of the chair - do it three times and keep the best"
    I am still confused about that ridiculous statement. Did no one edit that article?

    Continue to have fun, Elizabeth is visiting tomorrow. Unfortunately Fatima is preparing to depart for a trip to Belgium and France - what a pity she will miss our meeting.
    regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Irene,
    It is amazing how miniaturists pick up on teeny tiny details. the bed, I must agree, does look more like the bed of a single man ;) The staircase is awesome! It looks like a stair that has been around for a very long time, but at the same time it looks solid and well built. Excellent job on the railing.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work with the handrail!
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Irene! I am so relieved that your gentle cobbler is now able to breathe easy as he sleeps! :D
    I am also delighted that you have found such a wonderful solution to your handrail dilemma and it looks to have done the trick BEAUTIFULLY! I have found that there is usually more than one right answer to most of our mini problems; and I am So Glad that you have found the one that works for yours. WELL DONE! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irene, the staircase looks good, it's a clever use of an every day material! I love this project, you have so many lovely details here!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just back from Edinburgh and I am pleased to report that the powers that be have built a full size version of your project on the Royal Mile but they have much to learn from you. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online